Select An Institution: See All
(416) 977-6000 x 308
Check out the following resource to learn more about credit transfer at OCAD University:
Review the admission requirements for all programs at OCAD University:
The minimum grade required to transfer a course to OCAD University varies by source institution, but typically ranges from 60-70%.
View OCAD University’s articulation agreement opportunities:
OCAD University awards block transfer credit for Upper-Year Entry, as well as specified and unspecified transfer credit in recognition of previous learning.
Upper Year Entry
Applicants who have completed one or more years of study in an accredited post-secondary art or design program may be eligible to apply for admission with direct entry to an upper year in a studio-based program. Eligibility is dependent on the level attained and the particular program of study. For studio-based programs, students who are admitted to second year, typically receive a block transfer of 3.5 studio credits (7 courses). Students who are admitted to third year, typically receive a block transfer of 7.0 studio credits (14 courses).
Students who have attended an accredited post-secondary institution or who have completed International Baccalaureate (IB) or Advanced Placement (AP) courses may be awarded transfer credit. Specified transfer credits are direct equivalencies to OCAD U courses and these credits will be given the same course code. Unspecified transfer credits are unassigned equivalencies where OCAD U does not offer the same course. These credits will be given a generic course code.
The amount of transfer credit you can receive is limited by OCAD University’s residency policy. The policy states that at least 50% of graduation requirements must be completed at the University. In addition, 2 of the 3 final semesters prior to graduation, including the final, must be completed at the University.
OCAD University will consider all courses for transfer credit, regardless of currency, with the exception of highly technical or practice based courses.
Follow these steps in order to receive your PLAR assessment at OCAD University:
- A request for permission to challenge a course must be submitted before the end of the first week of the course. Students may normally challenge no more than 2.0 credits. Not all courses may be challenged.
- Students must present evidence of prior learning and receive permission to challenge a course for credit from the Dean or designate of the Faculty offering the course. Credits gained through Course Challenge cannot be used to fulfill OCAD University's residency requirements.
- Students who are successful in challenging a course for credit will receive a grade of Pass (P) on their transcript. The grade of P has no numerical equivalent and is not included in the calculation of grade point average. The grade of P may not be applied in any way toward application for scholarships, bursaries or loans. Credit will only be awarded for work meeting the standard expected of students who successfully complete the course with a grade of 60% or better.
A course challenge assessment at OCAD University costs $100.00 + 50% of the applicable tuition fee (current rates). All fees are non-refundable.
Courses approved for transfer to OCAD U will appear on the OCAD U transcript with the notation “TR”. The grades earned at previous institutions are not recorded on the OCAD U transcript and are not used to calculate academic averages. Please note that transfer credit grades are no longer taken into consideration for graduating with distinction.
Contact an OCAD University Transfer Advisor to discuss your credit transfer inquiries:
- Leiko Shimizu, firstname.lastname@example.org, (416) 977-6000 x 308
Follow these steps in order to receive your transfer credit assessment at OCAD University:
- After receiving an offer of admission to OCAD U, students may request transfer credits by submitting a Transfer Credit Request form with the required documentation to the Admissions & Recruitment Office. Official transcripts must be submitted by the deadline indicated in your offer of admission as part of the admissions application process. Applications for transfer credit may be considered up to 12 months after admission or, for courses not previously considered for transfer, up to 6 months after admission to a new program. Decisions are made in consultation with the appropriate Dean or designate.
There is currently no fee required for a transfer credit assessment at OCAD University.
The documentation required to have your previously completed postsecondary education assessed for transfer credit at OCAD University includes:
Course outline(s) – should include the following information: course description, learning outcomes, weekly topics, grade breakdown, and assignment detailsCompleted Transfer Credit Request Form
- Official transcript(s)
Complete this request form if you have received an offer of admission to OCAD University:
Overall Deadline to Request Transfer Credits
Students have 1 year from the time they are admitted to OCAD U to request transfer credit (by August 31 each year).
Students who change programs during their time at OCAD U may request another review of their transcript for additional and/or modified transfer credits. Students have up to 6 months after the start of their new program to request this (March 31).
Per Term Deadline to Request Transfer Credits
The deadlines below are made to ensure that transfer credit results for required courses can be approved before the start of each term. The earlier a student applies for transfer credit and submits all documentation, the better chance a student has to fill their schedule with other courses. Students who request transfer credits for required courses after these deadlines may lose tuition refund money and may not be able to replace courses in their schedule after they receive their transfer credit results for required courses.
- Transfer credit requests for required fall term courses: August 1
- Transfer credit requests for required winter term courses: November 15
- Transfer credit requests for required spring/summer term courses: March 31
A transfer credit decision at OCAD University could take up to 8 weeks to process during peak times from May to October. During off-peak times, it could take up to 4 weeks to process. Assessment begins after all required supporting documentations has been submitted.
A transfer credit decision can be appealed at OCAD University by providing additional information with a formal request for reconsideration to the Admissions and Recruitment Office. This request must be submitted no later than 20 business days after the date on your notice of transfer credit assessment.
ONTransfer.ca endeavours to provide the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding credit transfer; however, changes and updates to transfer opportunities happen on an ongoing basis. Students MUST check with the institution directly before applying to any program.