Select An Institution: See All
(416) 491-5050 x 26464
Office of the Registrar – Transfer Credit
(416) 491-5050 x 22800
Check out the following resources to learn more about credit transfer at Seneca College:
Certificate, diploma and graduate certificate programs — a minimum grade of “C” (60 per cent) is required for a course to be considered for transfer credit for most programs.
Degree programs — a minimum grade of “C+” (65 per cent) is required for a course to be considered for transfer credit for most programs.
A higher minimum grade may be required by certain programs.
View Seneca College’s pathway opportunities:
Pathways To & Within Seneca
Pathways Beyond Seneca
Seneca College grants blocks of transfer credit, specified equivalencies, and General Education and English elective credits in recognition of previous learning.
TC: Transfer Credit:
- Transfer Credits are granted for courses taken at another recognized postsecondary institution, which are deemed equivalent to a course at Seneca. Transfer Credit has no effect on GPA.
Block Transfer Credit (Pathways):
- A pre-determined group of transfer credits awarded based on a specific pathway agreement.
- Domestic students must apply through ontariocolleges.ca, meet all admission requirements for the program and select “advanced entry” or “degree completion” as their entry semester. Official transcripts showing diploma completion and a final program GPA must be submitted. If not approved for a block transfer (or if no pathway agreement exists), students may look into individual transfer credits by submitting a transfer credit application to the Office of the Registrar.
- International students will apply to the degree via Seneca’s International Student Web Application (https://www.senecacollege.ca/international/apply.html), and follow up with their Admissions Advisor regarding their pathway eligibility. The student will need their Seneca application confirmation number when they reach out to their advisor. Official transcripts showing diploma completion and a final program GPA must be submitted.
The amount of transfer credit you can receive is limited by Seneca College’s residency policy. The policy states that at least 25% of credits in a program of study must be completed at the College.
Seneca reserves the right to limit the time for which a course is considered current and eligible for transfer credit. Such eligibility is determined by each faculty.
Please contact your Seneca program coordinator/advisor for more information on the Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition procedure.
A PLAR assessment at Seneca College costs $107.00 per course.
Transfer credits will be recorded on your Seneca College transcript as "TC" and will not be included in your GPA calculation.
Familiarize yourself with Seneca College’s official credit transfer policies:
- Begin by visiting your Seneca College program page online. All required courses are listed and course outlines can be accessed by clicking the course code.
- Review and compare the Seneca College course descriptions and outlines with your previous course.
- If you believe the courses are comparable, follow these steps in order to receive your transfer credit assessment at Seneca College: https://www.senecacollege.ca/registrar/transfer-credit.html
1. Fill in a Transfer Credit Request form.
2. Include your official transcript.
Transcripts are received through Ontario Colleges (OCAS), or electronically directly to the receiving institution from the sending institution, or digitally directly to the receiving institution from the sending institution. Transcripts marked as “issued to student,” or copied or altered are not considered official and will not be accepted. If you have previously submitted your official transcript or submitted a transcript electronically or digitally, please indicate this on the Transfer Credit Request form.
3. Include an Evaluation Report if your previous post-secondary education was obtained outside Canada
World Education Services (WES)
- WES Basic Course-by-Course Report — if you have an original transcript
- WES ICAP Course-by-Course Report — if you do not have an original transcript
Please note: When you apply for a WES report, add the Registrar’s Office as a recipient. When WES notifies you that the report has been completed, please ensure you inform the Registrar’s Office by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org – and include your full name and student number in the email.
- International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) evaluations in addition to an official transcript)
It may take several weeks for one of the above service providers to perform a credential evaluation. Please apply early to ensure you meet submission deadline dates and to avoid unnecessary delay.
4. Include detailed course outlines from the same year and term that the courses were completed.
Please note: If the original course outline is not in English, a certified translation of the document is required. Course outlines must be translated, signed and sealed by a certified translating service or they will not be accepted. Please visit the Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario website for certified translators in your area.
5. Apply for transfer credit toward COM101 and general education courses.
Graduates with a completed three- or four-year undergraduate degree from a recognized Canadian postsecondary institution are eligible to receive transfer credit toward COM101 and general education courses. To be considered for review, please submit an official transcript and a Transfer Credit Request form.
6. Submit your completed application:
Submit the completed application and course outlines as PDF documents by email as attachment(s) to email@example.com.
To avoid delay, and if possible, please submit all documents in the same email request. Please include your Seneca student number in all email requests.
There is no fee to submit a transfer credit application.
The documentation required to have your previously completed postsecondary education assessed for transfer credit at Seneca College includes:
- Official transcript(s)
- WES/ICAS Course by Course Credential evaluation for courses that come from an international institution
- Course outline(s) (https://www.senecacollege.ca/registrar/transfer-credit/course-outline.html)
- Completed 'Transfer Credit Request’ application form
Complete the application form at Seneca College:
Apply to transfer credit at Seneca College at least 4 weeks prior to the start of the semester.
A transfer credit decision at Seneca College will take approximately 4-6 weeks to process. Decisions will be available on your Student Home Account.
- Log in to Student Home.
- Under “Academic Records” select “View Transfer Credit Report” from the menu.
The Transfer Credit Report displays the name of the institution you are requesting to receive credit from, as well as the Seneca program to which the credit applies.
Appeals can be made by submitting a Transfer Credit Appeal form.
The appeal form must be accompanied by a letter explaining why the credit should be considered for re-evaluation along with supporting documentation that includes new or additional evidence/information to support this request.
The application must be submitted within 30 days of the original decision date.
ONTransfer.ca endeavours to provide the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding credit transfer; however, changes and updates to transfer opportunities happen on an ongoing basis. Students MUST check with the institution directly before applying to any program.