Select An Institution: See All
705-567-9291 ext. 3709
Check out the following resources to learn more about credit transfer at Northern College:
Review the admission requirements for all programs at Northern College:
The minimum grade required to transfer a course to Northern College is 60% or “C”. Exceptions apply when the minimum grade required for the program may be higher, as indicated in departmental policies.
View Northern College’s transfer agreement opportunities:
Northern College awards advanced standing, equivalencies, and General Education and Breadth elective credits in recognition of previous learning.
The amount of transfer credit you can receive is limited by Northern College’s advanced standing policy. The policy states that at least 25% of credits in a program of study must be completed at the College.
Northern College will generally consider courses completed within the past 5 years for transfer credit. There are some exceptions depending on the course.
Follow these steps in order to receive your PLAR assessment at Northern College:
- Identify the specific Northern College credit course(s) in which you are interested in obtaining credit through the PLAR process.
- Contact the Student Services Office who will direct you to the site-designated PLAR staff.
- Obtain appropriate course outlines and pay the applicable fee at the Student Services Office.
- Review course learning outcomes for possible matches to your own learning. A significant majority of the outcomes, as found in the course outline, should be met prior to application.
- Collect evidence to support your experience-based, college-level knowledge, i.e. resume, work samples, letters from employers, performance appraisals, etc.
- If you wish to pursue the PLAR process to obtain academic credit, you will need to visit the Student Services Office, complete the ‘Request for Advanced Standing’ form and pay the PLAR fee by the date stated in the Academic Calendar.
- Consult with a PLAR staff member for referral to an appropriate faculty assessor.
- Consult with a faculty assessor.
A PLAR assessment at Northern College costs $151.15, which is the same cost as a Challenge Exam (these costs apply to the 2015/2016 academic year).
Transfer credits will be recorded on your Northern College transcript as "TC" and will not be included in GPA calculation.
Contact a Northern College Transfer Advisor to discuss your credit transfer inquiries:
- Pathways Officer, email@example.com, 705-567-9291 ext. 3709
Familiarize yourself with Northern College’s official credit transfer policies:
Follow these steps in order to receive your transfer credit assessment at Northern College:
- If you have any questions, consult with the Pathways Office.
- Complete the application form and submit it along with the required documentation to the Student Services Office.
- Use only one form for each transfer credit you are requesting.
- Pay required transfer credit fees to the Student Services Office and retrieve the form with the payment section completed. Processing of your application will not proceed until payment has been received.
- Attach a course outline to each application.
- Attach an official transcript if one was not sent to OCAS when you applied to your program.
- Bring or scan and e-mail your completed form and course outlines and transcript to the Pathways Office.
- Decisions will be communicated to the student by the Pathways Office.
A transfer credit assessment at Northern College costs $25.00 per course up to a cap of $200.00 per two consecutive semesters (these costs apply to the 2015/2016 academic year).
The documentation required to have your previously completed postsecondary education assessed for transfer credit at Northern College includes:
- Official transcript(s)
- Course outline(s)
- Completed 'Request for Advanced Standing-Transfer Credit (External)’ application form
Complete the application form at Northern College:
Apply to transfer credit at Northern College anytime prior to the deadline noted in the Academic Calendar, available online. There are three deadline dates identified, one per semester.
A transfer credit decision at Northern College will take approximately 1-3 weeks to process from the date the application is received at the Pathways Office, assuming all required documentation is included.
A transfer credit decision cannot be reviewed/appealed at Northern College. However, students may apply to write a Challenge Exam or complete a Prior Learning Assessment request.
ONTransfer.ca endeavours to provide the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding credit transfer; however, changes and updates to transfer opportunities happen on an ongoing basis. Students MUST check with the institution directly before applying to any program.