Select An Institution: See All
(613) 969-1913 x 2330
1-888-569-2547 x 2330
Check out the following resources to learn more about credit transfer at Loyalist College:
Review the admission requirements for all programs at Loyalist College:
The minimum grade required to transfer a course to Loyalist College varies by program. Please e-mail email@example.com if you have inquiries.
View Loyalist College’s transfer agreement opportunities:
Loyalist College awards block credit/advanced standing and exemptions (equivalencies) in recognition of previous learning.
The amount of transfer credit you can receive is limited by Loyalist College’s residency policy. The policy states that at least 25% of the program of study must be completed at the College.
Loyalist College will consider courses completed within the past 7 years for transfer credit.
Follow these steps in order to receive your PLAR assessment at Loyalist College:
Course Challenge and Portfolio Processes
- The PLAR candidate contacts the PLAR Advisor. The candidate will identify the course or courses they wish to PLAR.
- The PLAR Advisor downloads the appropriate course outline(s), which will identify the method or methods by which the course may be challenged: challenge exam, portfolio, interview, or other. If the course requires a portfolio, then the learner will be given a copy of the current Loyalist College Learner’s Guide to PLAR: Developing a Mini-Portfolio.
- Before engaging in the PLAR process, the candidate will meet with the faculty member who will be the assessor to make sure that the course outline is current.
- If the candidate decides to proceed, then they will complete the appropriate form available from the Registrar’s Office and pay the current fee.
- The candidate, with the support of the PLAR Advisor, will complete the portfolio or other work required and submit it to the Faculty Assessor by a specified date to insure that they can continue their studies if unsuccessful in the challenge.
- The faculty member assigns a grade and enters it on the ‘Prior Learning Assessment: Portfolio/Challenge Evaluation’ form and submits it to the Registrar’s Office so that the candidate’s transcript can be updated. For transcript purposes, the College makes no distinction between credit awarded through PLAR or by having taken the course. Graded credits (as opposed to exemptions) are granted.
- The faculty member will inform the learner of status of the challenge and the grade awarded in a timely manner.
- For more information visit: http://www.loyalistcollege.com/future-students/prior-learning-assessment-and-recognition/ and http://www.loyalistcollege.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/PLAR-Guide-approved-April-2015.pdf.
A PLAR assessment at Loyalist College costs $119.32 per course and the fee is non-refundable (http://www.loyalistcollege.com/future-students/paying-for-college/tuition-and-fees/#PLAR).
Transfer credits will be recorded on your Loyalist College transcript as "TC" and will not be included in GPA calculation.
Contact a Loyalist College Transfer Advisor to discuss your credit transfer inquiries:
- Sara Kelleher, firstname.lastname@example.org, (613) 969-1913 x 2330, 1-888-569-2547 x 2330
Familiarize yourself with Loyalist College’s official credit transfer policies:
Follow these steps in order to receive your transfer credit assessment at Loyalist College:
- Students must make an application to the course professor for transfer credits within the first 10 days of the academic semester. The student bears full responsibility to acquire and supply all supporting documents (official transcripts, course outlines, etc.) to the course professor.
- The School Dean or designate will make the final decision based on the material provided and specific program requirements.
- The signed ‘Credit Request’ form (available from the Registrar’s Office) is sent to the Registrar’s Office. Transfer credits will not be added to the student's record until the student has registered. If you are not a current registered student and wish to discuss opportunities available to you for credit transfer please contact the Transfer Credit Liaison at Loyalist College (email@example.com).
A transfer credit assessment at Loyalist College costs $25.00 per course.
The documentation required to have your previously completed postsecondary education assessed for transfer credit at Loyalist College includes:
- Official transcript(s)
- Course outline(s)
- Completed ‘Credit Request’ application form
Complete the application form at Loyalist College:
- The ‘Credit Request’ form is available in the Registrar’s Office or from a faculty member in your specific program.
Apply to transfer credit at Loyalist College within the first 10 days of the academic semester in which the course is being offered. If a course is not currently running, students still can apply for transfer credit.
A transfer credit decision at Loyalist College will take approximately 2 weeks to process from receipt of the application, except in special situations (Summer holidays and Christmas break).
A transfer credit decision can be reviewed/appealed at Loyalist College by meeting with one of our Academic team members (http://www.loyalistcollege.com/about-loyalist/policies/aop-231-academic-appeal-process-3/).
ONTransfer.ca endeavours to provide the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding credit transfer; however, changes and updates to transfer opportunities happen on an ongoing basis. Students MUST check with the institution directly before applying to any program.