Select An Institution: See All
Transfer Inquiries & Guidance - Credit for Prior Learning
Check out the following resources to learn more about credit transfer at Georgian College:
Review the admission requirements for all programs at Georgian College:
The minimum grade required to transfer a course to Georgian College is 60%, “C” or higher. Exceptions apply when the minimum grade required for a particular program may be higher.
View Georgian College’s articulation agreement opportunities:
Georgian College awards advanced standing and exemptions (equivalencies) in recognition of previous learning.
The amount of transfer credit you can receive is limited by Georgian College’s residency policy. The policy states that at least 25% of credits in a certificate of achievement, a minimum of 1 semester or 25% of credits (whichever is greater) in a certificate or 1-3 year diploma, and 25% of credits in a 4 year degree must be completed at the College.
All currency considerations at Georgian College are dependent on the course and program in which you are enrolled.
Follow these steps in order to receive your PLAR assessment at Georgian College:
- Review program outlines to see if courses are eligible for PLAR assessment.
- Consult with your Program Coordinator(s).
- Gather the information requested by your Program Coordinator(s).
- Officially apply for your PLAR exemption(s) by filling out a PLAR form and pay the fee.
- Bring your package to the Program Coordinator(s) for assessment and approval.
- Once assessment is complete, submit the completed form to the Credit Transfer Centre (C170, Barrie Campus).
- Once processed, view your exemption(s) in your student Banner account, under account details, view unofficial transcript (marked with a “P” or grade for challenge exam).
A PLAR assessment at Georgian College costs $134.00 per course.
Transfer credits will be recorded on your Georgian College transcript as "EX" and will not be included in GPA calculation.
Familiarize yourself with Georgian College’s official credit transfer policies:
Follow these steps in order to receive your transfer credit assessment at Georgian College:
- Consult with the Program Coordinator of your chosen program about the exemptions you could potentially receive and what semester you should be admitted to.
- Apply to your program of choice at Georgian College. Once you have an ID number, you can officially apply for the course and/or PLAR exemptions that will help you register in your semester of advanced standing.
- Your advanced standing request must be approved by applicable Program Coordinator(s).
- Once processed, you can register in your semester of advanced standing.
- Get an idea of your transfer/exemption possibilities by viewing your program’s course descriptions.
- Find your program’s course descriptions (http://www.georgiancollege.ca/academics/full-time-programs/).
- Consult with your Program Coordinator about the course exemptions you could potentially receive.
- Officially apply for course exemptions.
- Make sure the Office of the Registrar (C170, Barrie Campus) has your official transcript(s) on file.
- Fill out a ‘Request for Assessment of Previous Learning’ form and pay the fee.
- Once the form is complete, submit it to the Credit Transfer Centre (C170, Barrie Campus) for processing.
A transfer credit assessment at Georgian College costs $50.00 up to a cap of $100.00 for one semester. If you are applying for additional transfer credits in a new semester the fee is required again.
The documentation required to have your previously completed postsecondary education assessed for transfer credit at Georgian College includes:
- Official transcript(s)
- Course description(s)
- Course outline(s)
- Completed ‘Request for Assessment of Previous Learning’ application form
Complete the application form at Georgian College:
Apply to transfer credit at Georgian College within the 10-day add/drop period for the current semester for the transfer credit to be applied to that term.
A transfer credit decision at Georgian College will take 2-3 business days to process. However, if the request is more complex, processing time may take longer.
A transfer credit decision cannot be reviewed/appealed at Georgian College. All transfer credit assessments are final.
ONTransfer.ca endeavours to provide the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding credit transfer; however, changes and updates to transfer opportunities happen on an ongoing basis. Students MUST check with the institution directly before applying to any program.