Select An Institution: See All
Check out the following resources to learn more about credit transfer at Fanshawe College:
All admission requirements are listed on program pages:
The minimum grade required to transfer a course to Fanshawe College is 60%, “C” or higher.
Pathway Opportunities can be explored at:
Fanshawe College awards advanced standing and equivalencies in recognition of previous learning.
- Advanced Standing: is credit granted on a course-by-course basis for a program level or levels on the basis of previous academic achievement at another institution and/or prior learning assessment and recognition. Advanced standing qualifies the applicant for direct entry to a second or higher level of a program.
- Direct Equivalence: is credit granted for a Fanshawe College course on the basis of previous academic achievement at another institution or as defined in an articulation agreement. Courses will have at least 75% comparable content and learning outcomes. A minimum grade of “C” must be achieved to grant credit. Some courses or programs may have exceptions to the minimum grade requirement.
The amount of transfer credit you can receive is limited by Fanshawe College’s residency policy. The policy states that at least 25% of the credit units in a program of study must be completed at the College, unless otherwise stipulated by accreditation bodies.
All currency considerations at Fanshawe College are dependent on the course and program in which you are enrolled.
Follow these steps in order to receive your PLAR assessment at Fanshawe College:
Challenge Evaluation and Portfolio Process
- A challenge evaluation may include a written exam/test, an oral exam/test, a project and/or presentation, a skill demonstration, an interview, or essay. Whereas, a portfolio is a personal document created by the applicant about him or herself and may include chronological and academic records, life history paper, goals paper, educational plan, learning outcomes or competency statements, verification of learning document, or resume.
- Contact a PLAR Advisor at (519) 452-4277 or at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Individual courses can be PLAR’d for $105 plus tax per course. Please contact the college for Bulk PLAR fee (8 or more courses).
Transfer credits are displayed as “TE” on transcripts.
Pre-Admissions Advisors are available to discuss credit transfer questions:
A link to Policy A124: Recognition of Prior Learning can be found here: \
Follow these steps in order to receive your transfer credit assessment at Fanshawe College:
There are two main procedures for transfer credit assessment at Fanshawe College. Students who want to transfer to a level beyond the starting point of a program follow the Advanced Standing process. Students who are starting at the beginning of a program and want individual transfer credits (e.g. general education electives) follow the External/Transfer Credit process.
- Consult with the Program Coordinator of your chosen program about the exemptions you could potentially receive and what semester you could be admitted to as a full-time student.
- Apply to your program of choice through OCAS (Ontario College Application Service).
- You will receive a decision from the Office of the Registrar.
- After you have been admitted and paid your fees for the term your approved transfer credits will be added to your academic record.
- As soon as you have paid your deposit for the term you can apply for transfer credit. Many students wait until they arrive but you can start the process early if you wish.
- Ensure that you have submitted an official transcript for your previous postsecondary institutions. You can submit these through your OCAS application and they will be sent electronically to Fanshawe College.
- Obtain an ‘Application for External Credit’ from the Office of the Registrar.
- Complete the application and submit it to the Office of the Registrar.
- You will receive a decision via e-mail within 10-21 business days. The start of the term is the busiest time for this process, so applying early is highly recommended.
There is no cost for credit transferring or advanced standing applications.
The documentation required to have your previously completed postsecondary education assessed for transfer credit at Fanshawe College includes:
- Official transcript(s)
- Course outline(s)
- Completed ‘Application for External Credit’ form
Please see the steps for applying for transfer credit for more information on necessary documentation:
Credit transfer forms for current Fanshawe students can be found here (password required):
Apply to transfer credit at Fanshawe College within the 10-day drop/add period for the current semester. Applications received after the course drop/add deadline may be accepted but course enrolment for the semester will be recorded on the student's transcript and a grade assigned as appropriate.
Transfer credit decisions take approximately 2-4 weeks to process. It is recommended applications are submitted by the 10th day of class and that students continue to attend class until a decision has been communicated.
Transfer credit decisions are typically not appealed at Fanshawe. Please contact the advising centre for process clarification:
ONTransfer.ca endeavours to provide the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding credit transfer; however, changes and updates to transfer opportunities happen on an ongoing basis. Students MUST check with the institution directly before applying to any program.