Select An Institution: See All
Credit Transfer- Admission Services
(905) 721-2000 x 7605
Check out the following resource to learn more about credit transfer at Durham College:
Review the admission requirements for all programs at Durham College:
The minimum grade required to transfer a course to Durham College is 60%, "C" or a passing grade for the Durham College course, whichever is higher.
Durham College awards transfer credit if transferring from an external postsecondary institution in recognition of previous learning. Students transferring within Durham College are awarded equivalencies (which utilize the previous course and grade toward the student’s new program) or exemptions (when a student is using multiple previous internal courses toward one course).
The amount of transfer credit you can receive is limited by Durham College’s residency policy. The policy states that at least 25% of credits in a program of study must be completed at the College.
Durham College will consider courses completed within the past 5 years for transfer credit, with the exception of General Education electives, which do not require completion within a specified time frame. Requests beyond 5 years will continue to be accepted; however, may be denied based on the age of the course content at the discretion of the faculty evaluator.
Follow these steps in order to receive your PLAR assessment at Durham College:
- The deadline to make an application for full-time and part-time students is 10 days from the start of classes.
- Review the learning outcomes and content of the course outline.
- Use the PLAR Self-Assessment Form to evaluate and document whether your knowledge and skills substantially match the learning outcomes in the current course outline.
- After completing the PLAR Self-Assessment form, students will contact the appropriate school and submit their completed PLAR Self-Assessment Form
- Apply by filling out a PLAR form and reading the policies and procedures information available at www.durhamcollege.ca/plar.
- Program coordinators or designates will review the completed self-assessment form within five (5) business days of receipt. The form will then be returned to the applicant indicating the applicant’s eligibility
- To officially apply for PLAR, you must submit the following via email to PLAR@durhamcollege.ca:
a) PLAR Application Form
b) non-refundable fee of $148.86 per course
- For payment options, please refer to the “Payment Details” section of the PLAR application form
c) Signed copy of the PLAR Self-Assessment Form. This form must be signed by the Program Coordinator/Program Designate Name (STEP A)
2. The PLAR Office will notify the appropriate school office of the registered PLAR candidate.
3. The school office will arrange for the release of the challenge assessment to the student. Durham College has up to 20 business days to develop an assessment process. In the case of a formal exam
The PLAR Coordinator notifies the candidate within 5 days of receiving the graded assessment and applies the result to the student record. Grade(s) are made available for viewing through the Durham College online student Portal.
A PLAR assessment at Durham College costs $148.86 and the fee is non-refundable (this cost applies to the 2021-2022 academic year). In the event that 10 or more students enrol for a PLAR assessment in a specific course, the cost is a non-refundable fee of $20.00.
Transfer credits will be recorded on your Durham College transcript as "TC" and will not be included in GPA calculation.
Contact Durham College’s Pathways and Credit Transfer Coordinator to discuss your credit transfer inquiries:
Credit Transfers- Admission Services
email@example.com, (905) 721-2000 x 7605
Familiarize yourself with Durham College’s official credit transfer policies:
Follow these steps in order to receive your transfer credit assessment at Durham College:
- Complete an application form on MyCampus and gather required documentation for any previous courses you feel are equivalent to the course(s) in your Durham College program. You must provide a copy of your official transcript, course outlines from the year(s) you took the course, and the assessment fee.Please ensure you request any required information in advance of the deadline.
- Remain in class until a decision e-mail is sent to the e-mail address provided on the application form. If you have any questions regarding the status of your application, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and include your student number
A transfer credit assessment at Durham College costs $16.00 per course and the fee is non-refundable.
The documentation required to have your previously completed postsecondary education assessed for transfer credit at Durham College includes:
- Official transcript(s)
- Course outline(s) from the year(s) previous courses
- Completed ‘Application for Credit Transfer’ application form
Complete the application form at Durham College:
Apply to transfer credit at Durham College within the first 10 days of classes.
A transfer credit decision at Durham College will take during peak times, 4-6 weeks to process.
A transfer credit decision can be reviewed/appealed at Durham College by messaging email@example.com to discuss appeal options.
ONTransfer.ca endeavours to provide the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding credit transfer; however, changes and updates to transfer opportunities happen on an ongoing basis. Students MUST check with the institution directly before applying to any program.