Education Pathways In Ontario

Credentials are the official documents (ex. Diploma or Degree) you receive when you successfully complete a postsecondary program or course of study. Learn more about different credentials.

Transfer opportunities
Transfer opportunities
Education System Flow Chart

Note: this chart is not exhaustive, and should only be referred to as an example of the average and common options and durations.

In High School?

To move on to post-secondary education, you'll need your high school diploma (OSSD), GED, or be over the age of 19. Factors that can affect where you'll be eligible to go:

Type. What courses you take matters. Programs have specific required (prerequisite) and recommended courses (e.g. most Biological Science degrees require grade 11 and 12 Biology).
Colleges require: U, M, or C level courses
Universities require: ENG4U and U courses. Some will also accept M courses.
Grades. Programs have specific grade requirements. A minimum grade is often required for application, but that does not guarantee acceptance, particularly into competitive programs.

There may be additional requirements (reference letters, extracurriculars, etc.). Always check the details of the program to which you are looking to apply. For more information, see: