FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

The following FAQs are provided to help you use the ONTransfer.ca website. If you have additional questions, please contact us.

Click on the question to find the most current response!

Q. What can the ONTransfer.ca website do for me?

A. ONTransfer.ca provides students in Ontario with information on how credits may transfer among postsecondary programs in publicly-funded colleges and universities. How you use the site depends on who you are:

  • High School Students/Graduates

    For high school students and graduates, the site can help plan a postsecondary route that starts in a college diploma program and ends with a degree; ONTransfer.ca also provides information on college-university collaborative programs;

  • College Students/Graduates

    For college students and graduates, ONTransfer.ca provides an interactive guide to established transfer routes among programs and institutions. Students can search the Transfer Guide for course-to-course and program based transfer options into institutions across Ontario;

  • University Students/Graduates

    For university students and graduates, ONTransfer.ca provides information on course-to-course transfer options as well as program based transfer options for students pursuing another credential.

For current college or university students who are thinking about moving to another institution in Ontario, ONTransfer.ca also provides information on college and university transfer advisors and policies.

Back to Top

Q. What type of search is right for me? Program or Course-to-Course?

A. If you are a high school student or graduate, you should search for program transfers to find the most efficient routes to your goals.

If you are a college or university student or graduate, you can either search for program transfers or course-to-course transfers. If you have completed a credential, start your search with program transfers. The program search contains a handful of agreements for students with partially completed studies.

Back to Top

Q. How do I apply for transfer credits?

A. First, start by searching the Transfer Guide to find possible transfer routes that apply to you. Once you have found the transfer pathway you want to follow, contact the transfer advisor at the college or university who will help you with the process.

Back to Top

Q. What is in the Transfer Guide?

A. The Transfer Guide includes information on established routes or pathways that enable students to transfer credits among Ontario's colleges and universities. Currently, the majority of pathways are from college to university; however there are increasing numbers of pathways from college to college and some from university to college and university to university. Students can search the Transfer Guide for program and course-to-course transfer options.

Back to Top

Q. How do I use the Transfer Guide?

A. The Guide is set up to show you pathways from where you are to where you would like to be. If you have completed a credential at college or university, you can search for program transfers by starting with the credential you have and search for pathways to the credential you would like to get. You can also search to see how courses can be transferred from one institution to another. If you need assistance, contact us by phone or email.

Back to Top

Q. Who provides the information for the Transfer Guide?

A. Information on transfer pathways is provided by the Ontario college or university which will receive the transfer student, often referred to as the receiving institution.

Back to Top

Q. Does the Transfer Guide include all transfer pathways available?

A. If there is no information for a particular program or institution, credit transfer may be possible on a case-by-case basis. Please consult the receiving institution’s transfer policy and contact the transfer advisor for the receiving institution if you do not find the pathway or course-to-course transfer you are looking for.

Back to Top

Q. How can I be sure that the Transfer Guide is accurate and up-to-date?

A. Each program transfer pathway in the Guide includes terms for renewal or cancellation and may also identify an expiry date in the pathway details. Course transfer options are updated by the receiving institutions. If you do not find the transfer options you are looking for contact the transfer advisor.

Back to Top

Q. Does the guide include information about transferring from one college to another college or one university to another university?

A. Yes, the guide includes transfer information from college diploma programs to college degrees as well as university to another university degree transfer.

Back to Top

Q. Does a transfer pathway guarantee my admission to the destination program if I have the prerequisites and meet the academic standards stated in the pathway?

A. No, admission is not guaranteed. Transfer pathways establish eligibility for admission to the program but places are often limited and the receiving institution will select students from among the applicants.

Back to Top

Q. How do I compare several institutions when considering transfer opportunities, and what should I look for in making my decision or choice?

A. Use the search function to find pathways of possible interest to you. Select up to three pathways at a time and click compare to see a summary of important details. Things to look for include eligibility, amount of credit transfer, and length of time to complete the program. You should also consider geographic location and characteristics of institutions to ensure your choice will be a good fit for you.

Back to Top

Q. What if I register at an institution and I don’t get the transfer credit I am expecting?

A. If you think that there is an error in the transfer credit you receive, contact the transfer advisor at the receiving institution. He or she will be able to advise you on processes for review and any formal appeal process. If you are not sure who to contact, we may be able to help you find the right person. Contact us for assistance.

Back to Top

Q. What about transfers from private Ontario colleges?

A. The transfer guide only contains transfer information for Ontario’s publicly funded colleges and universities. Please contact individual private colleges and private universities for details on transfer opportunities for their programs, or contact the admissions office of Ontario’s public colleges and universities for more information.

Back to Top

Q. I’m still exploring programs and careers - where should I start?

A. A good place to start is with the website of the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities of Ontario or the government of Canada website.

You can also visit the career centre at your secondary school or local library, or consider a General Arts and Science postsecondary program at an Ontario college.

If you’re an adult learner and want to complete upgrading before you enter postsecondary education, visit Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities of Ontario: Adult Learning or contact your local school board.

Back to Top

Q. I’m a Canadian resident with postsecondary credentials from another country - what are my options?

A. You will need to have your credentials evaluated for equivalency to Canadian postsecondary education levels. Visit cicic.ca for information on credential evaluation in Ontario.

Ontario colleges and universities offer some bridging programs designed for internationally educated professionals. Visit tcu.gov.on.ca for information on these programs and possible financial assistance.

Back to Top

Q. I’m a resident of another country and would like to study in Ontario - how do I start?

A. Start with the government of Ontario website and learn how to apply for study permits, visas and employment in Ontario. The Canadian government also offers information on studying in Canada at cicic.ca and cic.gc.ca.

Back to Top

Q. I would like to transfer from an Ontario college to a degree program in another province or country. Can ONTransfer.ca help me with that?

A. The Transfer Guide program search does not include information about transfers from Ontario colleges to degree programs in other provinces or countries. Many course-to-course transfers to Athabasca University can be found within the Guide. Please visit the individual college website for information on transfer agreements they have negotiated with institutions outside Ontario.

Back to Top

Q. How do I apply to college or university in Ontario?

A. For Ontario colleges, apply online at ontariocolleges.ca and for Ontario universities apply online at ouac.ca

Back to Top

Q. Who develops and maintains ONTransfer.ca?

A. ONTransfer.ca is developed and maintained by the Ontario Council on Articulation and Credit, a not-for-profit corporation funded by the Government of Ontario.

Back to Top